Saturday, October 31, 2015

Jayaprada---From Rajahmundry to the Rajdhani

Jayaprada---From Rajahmundry to the Rajdhani



Born  Lalita Rani in a middle class household to Krishna and Neelavani in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh  this small town girl dreamt of becoming a doctor. Her mother enrolled her in dance and music classes when she was seven years old, in addition to going to a regular school. Her mother enrolled her in dance and music classes when she was 7 years old, in addition to going to a regular school. Even though, her father and uncle were film financiers, her initial break into films did not  come through them. She was discovered dancing on stage at a school function when she was just 14. Character actor Prabhakar Reddy gave her the name Jayaprada and introduced her in a three minute song in the Telugu film, "Bhoomi Kosam" (1976). 
In an exclusive tete-a-tete, the beautiful actress-politician, talks about her journey……



Four decades in cinema- from Bhoomi Kosam to Rajjo—it has been a long journey. Did you always want to be in films or would you have liked to be anything else?
In many ways I feel that my life is like my first film, Anthuleni Katha (1976). The character in the film is naive and trusting and has to go through a series of experiences to discover herself. My life has been like that too. Starting out as a small-town girl who wanted to be a doctor, I have come a full circle, doing things I never thought I could.
When  I was 14  and performing at school's annual function a  film director in the audience offered me  a three-minute dance number in the Telugu film Bhoomi Kosam. I  was hesitant, but my family encouraged  me to accept it. I  was paid only  Rs.10 for my work,but the rushes of those three minutes of film were shown to the major figures of the Telugu film industry and offers started coming. (Jaya Prada was highest paid Hindi actress from 1985-89 with Sridevi and 3rd highest paid Hindi actress with Rekha from 1990-92). 
In my  first Telugu film, Anthuleni Katha (1976)the famed director K. Balachander slapped co-star Kamal Haasan right in front of me  for muffing up a scene. I was scared and ran away from the set crying.  I gained a lot of knowledge in acting from K. Balachander and K. Vishwanath.

Over the years you have worked with some of the best directors in  the Telugu, Kannada, Tamil and Malayalam film industry—was the transition to Hindi difficult? How did you overcome the language barrier?
Initially there were some difficulties but I learned the language and got a lot of help from my co-stars like Jeetendra and Amitabhji. I kept a tutor who rehearsed my lines. I was keen to do my own dubbing. I would get up at 5 am, take my Hindi class and then leave for my shoot. I would again work on my diction at night.

Your very first Hindi film- Sargam(1976)- was opposite Rishi Kapoor who has maximum films with newcomers—what do you recall most about the film and your co-star?
I was already an established star in the South having done films with NT Rama Rao, Shobhan Babu, Mamooty,Kamal Hassan and Rajnikanth. Also Sargam ( in which I portrayed the role of a mute dancer was a remake of my Telugu film Siri Siri Muvva (1978). I observed mute students closely in preparation for the role. The film opposite Rishi Kapoor was a resounding success and he was great to work with.





Your most successful Hindi films have been with Jeetendra and Amitabh Bachchan—what kind of a rapport do you share with them ?
I share a great personal and professional rapport with both Jeetendra and Amitabhji. I was paired romantically with Jeetendra Jeetendra  in 25 films and 19 of them were box office hits. Whenever I needed advice  I could always bank on Jeetuji for support and guidance. From Amitabhji, I learned the qualities of humility and punctuality.
If the  shoot was at 10 a.m he would report on the dot .I used to often jokingly tell him to come a little late as  women need more time to do their make-up and get ready . He is a wonderful actor and  human being.

Sridevi also entered Hindi films in the mid-seventies and both of you starred in over a dozen hits—what was it like working with her?
Contrary to what people think, there was no rivalry between me and Sridevi. Our films together clicked at the box-office and we were very professional.

Why did you decide to enter politics?
I joined the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in 1994 at the invitation of  N. T. Rama Rao, on the eve of the assembly elections, and rose quickly through the ranks. At that time there was speculation that I would run for election, but  I preferred not to make  my electoral debut, although  I  was offered a seat by Rao.

On her pairing up with Super-star Rajesh Khanna in Dil-E-Nadaan (1982).. It was my first film opposite the Superstar. I was very nervous on the sets,but he made me feel comfortable and corrected my lines. We shared a comfortable rapport which was apparent on the screen. Rajeshji was a unique and sensitive artiste. I learn a lot by carefully observing his skills.I did 5 successful movies with Rajesh Khanna sahab.

What would you say are your major achievements in the political arena over 20 years? What are the changes you would like to see in the role of women in politics?
I have been working over the years to provide women with education and  also giving vocational training so that they can be financially independent. I have founded theJaya Prada Charitable Trust, Jaya Prada Education Society and Nishtha Foundation, which has been actively involved in the field of providing professional education like nursing and school training courses. 
The Jaya Prada Charitable Trust also runs the Neelaveni Krishna ( named after my parents) School of Nursing in Rampur. 
I also feel very strongly about the issue of womns’ safety not only in the large cities but also in rural areas.


Recently honoured with a doctorate by the Desh Bhagat University ( Punjab), do you feel that rural women are becoming more aware of the importance of  formal education?
I feel very honoured and it’s a great feeling to be recognised for your contribution.

Tell us about your comeback film in Malayalam and other projects you are working on.
Yes I am doing a film Nimisham with Mamooty. I am also doing a film with Sanjay Sharma--a paranormal thriller in which I  play a modern-day queen.
My character Rani Sahiba is glamorous with grey shades. People's expectations have changed and youngsters today are looking for different stories. I have never played such a character, hence doing this film is a really brave decision. And I trust my director Sanjay Sharma.
The yet untitled film will be shot in Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Nepal. 
Satyajit Ray once said ‘you were the most beautiful  face on the Indian screen —did you ever meet him  and do you regret  not having the opportunity to work with him?
I cherish the compliment  and met him once at the inauguration of a film festival.There was  some  talk about doing a film but because of his failing health that dream was never fulfilled. I  attended his tribute for the release of the book, "The Vision of Ray: Cine Posters & Beyond" (2005) with Sharmila Tagore and Jaya Bhaduri, the two stars that Ray discovered.

You are an excepionally beautiful dancer--- do you find the time to practice and what are your other interests?
I do  give performances but not as often as I would like to. I did  Amrapali creating the time and story of the fiery Amrapali through a ballet choreographed by Bhushan Lakandri with music and lyrics by Ravindra Jain. I am also very fond of music and would like to learn semi-classical..I dabbled in playback a bit and even recorded an album with music composer Bappi Lahiri

The South has given the Hindi industry top talents—from Padmini, Waheeda Rehman,Vyjaintimala,Rekha,Sridevi to yourself--- what is the one defining factor and edge  you all had over your northern rivals?
Undoubtedly…all very beautiful, exceptional dancers and versatile actors !





No comments:

Post a Comment